Friday, June 6, 2008

Should you include an objective on your resume?

I am firmly against putting an objective line in your resume. What is the purpose of putting in a sentence stating you are looking for position X where you can utilize skills Y and Z? Not much. I find it hard to believe anyone has been taken out of consideration for a job based solely on their objective statement unless there was something serious weird or deficient about it. It will be helpful if you write out your own objective for personal use so you can target specific positions. But including it on your resume can't really help you in any substantial way. Clearly, if I submitted my resume to an employer then I am looking to work in the position they are hiring for. And I have a pretty thorough list of my abilities on my resume. Writing an objective isn't going to clarify anything that isn't already pretty clear.

No comments: